Kingsbridge parents arrested after toddler found living in squalorPosted: Updated:
Two Kingsbridge parents were arrested after a toddler was found living in squalor.
A FedEx worker delivering a package to 3054 Kingsbridge Ave. spotted a 5-year-old boy unattended around 11:20 a.m. Friday.
The delivery worker then alerted nearby police officers, who say they found feces, rats and roaches in the apartment.
Police say the toddler told them he hadn't seen his parents since Thursday.
Charlotte Lewis, 40, and Wilfred Lewis, 59, were arrested and charged with failing to exercise control over a minor. Wilfred Lewis was also charged with child endangerment.
The four children were taken to Montefiore Medical Center for evaluation. Three of the children, ages 12, 13 and 15, were at school at the time the 5-year-old was found unattended. According to police, they appeared to be malnourished.
News 12 is told the father of the children is employed by the MTA and the mother worked as a nurse at Montefiore.
The hospital has removed her from active duty after she was charged.
- Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. is dropping out of the mayoral race and announced his retirement from public office altogether.
- How do you have fun at work?How do you have fun at work?
- A Bronx man who's been waiting nearly two months for a replacement oven from NYCHA learned of an update after News 12 looked into the issue.
- New Sanctuary Coalition, a Bronx-based nonprofit, trained volunteers Monday to help individuals facing deportation.
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 Grammy Awards.Sights and scenes from the 2020 Grammy Awards.
- Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!
- Did you snap a photo of a rainbow when the skies cleared on Jan. 25? We want to see!Did you snap a photo of a rainbow when the skies cleared on Jan. 25? We want to see!
- Sights and Scenes from 2020 BroadwayCon in New York City.Sights and Scenes from 2020 BroadwayCon in New York City.
- A new viral illness being watched with a wary eye around the globe accelerated its spread in China on Sunday with 56 deaths so far.