Taxi leaders work to protect drivers, officers after recent attackPosted: Updated:
The New York City Taxi and Limousine Commissioner sat down with drivers' groups Wednesday afternoon to condemn last week's attack on two TLC officers.
The TLC says the sole purpose of the meeting was to make it clear that violence will not be tolerated. But officials also heard from drivers' groups about other issues.
Some of the concerns, according to Fernando Mateo, head of the state's Federation of Taxi Drivers, include having a mutual understanding of the challengers that drivers face on the job such as the threat of robbery and other unsafe conditions. Mateo says he thinks it is important to create an auxiliary and integrity unit within the TLC similar to the NYPD's that would make sure TLC officers are treating drivers with respect.
Last week, two TLC peace officers were attacked by two men. Their vehicle was blocked in and bashed with a bat. Police are still searching for the two men in the incident that began when an unlicensed driver was stopped and fined.
As far as fines are concerned, the amount is set in place by City Council, not the TLC. The TLC says it plans to meet with the council regarding that.
- Police are searching for a man who they say stole a bag full of cash from a car in Hunts Point.Police are searching for a man who they say stole a bag full of cash from a car in Hunts Point.
- House Democrats prosecuting President Donald Trump's impeachment trial are preparing for a second day of arguments.
- A video that went viral across Westchester County and the country caught the attention of a famous rapper.
- Jim Lehrer, co-host and later host of the nightly PBS “NewsHour” that for decades offered a thoughtful take on current events, has died, PBS said Thursday.
- Chinese authorities moved to lock down three cities with a combined population of more than 18 million in an unprecedented effort to contain the deadly new virus that has sickened hundreds of people and spread to other parts of the world.
- Chinese health authorities urged people in the city of Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.Chinese health authorities urged people in the city of Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.
- Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!
- A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck Puerto Rico, killing one man, injuring at least eight other people and collapsing buildings in the southern part of the island.