Century-old pillars restored in Van Cortlandt ParkPosted: Updated:
Century-old pillars in the depths of Van Cortlandt Park have been restored.
About a five-minute walk into the park will reveal the stones that have been present since 1905.
"There's 13 stones here," says Christina Taylor, executive director of Friends of Van Cortlandt Park. "Ten are granite, one is marble and two are limestone."
Their placement started as a test to see which type of stone could best weather a New York winter and eventually be used in the construction of Grand Central Terminal. Taylor says one of the granites was picked for the bottom part of the terminal and a limestone was chosen for the top layer, mostly due to its lower cost.
But the stones disappeared under layers of graffiti over time. Taylor says the Parks Department doesn't have the resources to clean the graffiti and instead painted over it.
A solution came in the form of funding from the Claire and Paul Porzell Foundation that allowed the Municipal Arts Society and Taddei Arts Conservation to clean off the graffiti and reveal what types of stones are underneath.
"Once it was cleared off, it was really cool to be able to see that there actually are different types of stone and they do look different," Taylor says.
- A Brooklyn man is helping his late mother achieve her dreams of becoming an author.A Brooklyn man is helping his late mother achieve her dreams of becoming an author.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- News 12 is told a man is dead and a young girl is injured after being hit by a train in the Bronx Monday morning.
- Dubai International Airport closed for 15 minutes on Sunday after suspected drone activity.Dubai International Airport closed for 15 minutes on Sunday after suspected drone activity.
- Se realiza la asamblea general de la ONU.Se realiza la asamblea general de la ONU.
- Sights and scenes from the 71st Primetime Emmy Awards, held Sunday, Sept. 22, 2019, at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles.
- While costumed space aliens were a common and sometimes hilarious sight in events that began Thursday, no one has reported seeing actual extraterrestrials or UFOs.
- Fans taste tested some of the most popular dishes from all 30 Major League ballparks across the country in Manhattan this past weekend.
News 12 The Bronx wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedBX.
- Family photos of Lesandro "Junior" Guzman-Feliz.Family photos of Lesandro "Junior" Guzman-Feliz.