Housing rights advocates step in after Jerome Ave. rezoningPosted: Updated:
Critics of the controversial Jerome Avenue rezoning say it has already forced businesses out of the area in the name of affordable housing — but a new pilot program aims to help others who are feeling similar pressure.
The city announced a few months ago that it would rezone a number of blocks for residential units, forcing out commercial tenants.
However, the city also introduced a $1.5 million pilot program called 'Partners in Preservation' to work with community organizations in select neighborhoods to fight residential tenant harassment and displacement in an effort to preserve affordable housing.
Advocates argue the displacement of local businesses could put tenants out of work and make them more vulnerable to gentrifying rent prices.
Partners in Preservation is looking to help alongside a pair of city agencies by raising money for housing activist groups to organize and fight discriminatory landlords and keep longtime residents in their homes.
- New data released shows how coronavirus is hitting certain communities, especially impacting Hispanic and African-American neighborhoods in alarming numbers.
- A restaurant in New Brunswick specializing in wings, pizza, and beer has a special gift for customers involving Dr. Anthony Fauci.
- Christie Brinkley is giving back with her Bellissima Prosecco sales.Christie Brinkley is giving back with her Bellissima Prosecco sales.
- Looks like Broadway will stay dark as performances in New York City will be suspended through June 7 because of the coronavirus pandemic, the Broadway League announced.Looks like Broadway will stay dark as performances in New York City will be suspended through June 7 because of the coronavirus pandemic, the Broadway League announced.
- About 1,000 COVID-19 tests are being processed daily by the Clinical Microbiology Laboratory at New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical Center.About 1,000 COVID-19 tests are being processed daily by the Clinical Microbiology Laboratory at New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical Center.
- This week's Super Pink Moon is the biggest full moon of 2020. Did you see it? Share your photos with us.
- In these trying times, we can all use a breath of fresh air every once in a while. News 12 wants to see your scenic photos while you get your breath of fresh air.
- These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.
- From doctors and nurses to firefighters and police officers. From grocery store workers to news media and beyond. There are many who work hard to keep things running, keep us informed and keep us safe.
- Celebrating Easter or Passover is a little different this year. So, we want to see how you are celebrating. News 12 wants to see all of your photos, including throwbacks!