Pro basketball player beats cancerPosted: Updated:
Professional basketball player Emmy Andujar received the news Monday that he had finally beat his toughest opponent -- cancer -- after battling the disease for several months.
"I got diagnosed with stage 2 cancer,” said Andujar. “And when people hear cancer, they think of death, but for me it was just about basketball – just me not being able to play, and put my life on pause, it was hard."
The Manhattan College alum was playing professional basketball in Mexico and turning heads with the Puerto Rican national team when the bad news stopped him in his tracks.
"The chemo, it catches you by surprise, the effects it has on your body,” he said. “One moment you're playing at a high level of basketball, and then you just shut down."
Andujar endured surgery and four months of chemotherapy with the hope that he would one day be able to play basketball again. Now cancer-free, that just might be a possibility.
The basketball player says he hopes to be an inspiration to those going through much worse.
Andujar tells News 12 that he’ll be holding a youth basketball clinic later this month, giving out free school supplies, as well as delivering a “Stop the Violence” message in honor of his late brother who was killed in 2012.
- A double stabbing in Bushwick Saturday night left a 71-year-old woman dead and another elderly man injured, police say.
- A federal landmark building in the Bronx is also becoming the location of the first rooftop restaurant in the borough.
- Residents of Pelham Parkway are calling for a safer Boston Road.Residents of Pelham Parkway are calling for a safer Boston Road.
- For millennials looking to buy their first home, the hunt feels like a race against the clock.For millennials looking to buy their first home, the hunt feels like a race against the clock.
- Grocery chain Aldi is recalling bags of all-purpose flour due to possible E. coli contamination that has sickened people in multiple states.
- The live-action Aladdin film flew into theaters Friday.The live-action Aladdin film flew into theaters Friday.
- Fleet Week New York started May 22. This year marks the 31st annual event that features a week filled of activities, themed events and live demonstrations.
- Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- The 2019 performer lineup for Madison Square Garden.The 2019 performer lineup for Madison Square Garden.