City suspends BX trash removal company's license over unsafe practicesPosted: Updated:
A Bronx trash removal company has had its license suspended over what the city calls dangerous practices.
City officials say a driver who worked for Sanitation Salvage is responsible for two deaths, one in 2017 and another in April of this year. They say Sanitation Salvage trucks have been involved in 58 crashes since March 2016.
The mayor released a statement saying, "This company has demonstrated time and time again that they value profit over the lives of New Yorkers and the well-being of their workers. We are immediately suspending this company's license following a pattern of unsafe practices."
A representative for the Teamsters Local 813 says it's about time action was taken.
City officials say as recent as Thursday night a worker with Sanitation Salvage was caught operating a truck with a suspended license while the assigned driver and another worker went into a pizza store.
The company has the right to appeal the decision, and a hearing could be scheduled as soon as next week.
- Cuomo says the death toll in New York state from COVID-19 is at 965.Cuomo says the death toll in New York state from COVID-19 is at 965.
- President Donald Trump gave an update on the coronavirus pandemic from the White House Rose Garden Sunday evening.
- A Brooklyn priest has died due to complications from the coronavrus, according to the Brooklyn Diocese.
- Detective Dixon was 48 years old and News 12 is told that he worked in the 32nd Precinct in Harlem. He died at a Bronx hospital.
- Country singer Joe Diffie, who had a string of hits in the 1990s with chart-topping, rock-tinged singles such as “Home” and “Pickup Man” has died after testing positive for COVID-19.
- Whatever the reason is, News 12 wants to see photos of what you're doing to keep busy during the coronavirus pandemic.
- From doctors and nurses to firefighters and police officers. From grocery store workers to news media and beyond. There are many who work hard to keep things running, keep us informed and keep us safe.
- As people work from home and avoid large gatherings, areas that are normally packed with people have suddenly become nearly vacant.
- These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.
A guide to the national park sites and trails on Long Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York City and the Hudson Valley.