Opening of 2nd span of new Hudson River bridge delayed

Posted: Updated:
WESTCHESTER -

Saturday's planned opening of the second span of the new Mario M. Cuomo Bridge over the Hudson River was delayed after a piece of the bridge it is replacing became destabilized and threatened to fall, officials said.

Matthew Driscoll, the executive director of the New York State Thruway Authority, said "a potentially dangerous situation" developed Friday when a piece of the old Tappan Zee Bridge became destabilized during the process of being disassembled.

He said the opening of the eastbound span of the new bridge, named after former New York governor Mario Cuomo, would be delayed "out of an abundance of caution."

The issue arose hours after Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo, the late former governor's son, held a grand opening ceremony for the new bridge span. Joined by onetime Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, Cuomo said Friday that the new bridge "shows the world that we're capable of dreaming big and delivering results for the people of this state."

Cuomo's rivals suggested that he had opened the new span prematurely to garner positive coverage ahead of Thursday's primary election.

"A ribbon-cutting ceremony should not have been held if the bridge span was not yet safe," Cuomo's primary opponent, actress Cynthia Nixon, said in a statement Saturday. "There are real, reasonable questions about whether this bridge span opening was accelerated to aid the governor's campaign."

Republican Marc Molinaro, who will face the Democratic primary winner in the November general election, said, "It's now clearer than ever that the bridge was opened to meet Governor Cuomo's political timetable without regard to public safety."

Speaking to reporters at a Labor Day parade in Manhattan, Cuomo said the bridge opening was delayed for fear that the unstable piece of the Tappan Zee Bridge could fall and hit the new bridge.

"We want to move the traffic over as quickly as possible," Cuomo said. "The new bridge is ready."

Gov. Cuomo's Press Secretary Dani Lever released a statement saying, "This is not an episode of Sex and the City, it's real life. The Mario M. Cuomo bridge is complete and ready for traffic and the action taken by TPZ Construction, given the potential issue on the old structure, was out of an abundance of caution and about public safety, not politics. Anyone trying to score political points off of it only underscores why they are unfit to serve."

The nearly $4 billion Cuomo bridge links Westchester and Rockland counties 30 miles (48 kilometers) north of New York City. The old Tappan Zee Bridge, which opened in 1955, is in the process of being demolished.

The first span of new bridge opened last year and currently carries Interstate 87's eastbound and westbound traffic. Eastbound traffic was to be fully shifted to the second span Saturday morning.

AP Wire Services were used in this report

  • Opening of 2nd span of new Hudson River bridge delayedMore>>

  • Second span of Cuomo Bridge opens to traffic

    Second span of Cuomo Bridge opens to traffic

    Saturday, September 8 2018 5:46 PM EDT2018-09-08 21:46:10 GMT
    Gov. Andrew Cuomo and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton were joined by other dignitaries for the official opening ceremony of the Mario M. Cuomo Bridge today.Gov. Andrew Cuomo and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton were joined by other dignitaries for the official opening ceremony of the Mario M. Cuomo Bridge today.
    Gov. Andrew Cuomo and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton were joined by other dignitaries for the official opening ceremony of the Mario M. Cuomo Bridge today.Gov. Andrew Cuomo and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton were joined by other dignitaries for the official opening ceremony of the Mario M. Cuomo Bridge today.

    Gov. Andrew Cuomo and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton were joined by other dignitaries for the official opening ceremony of the Mario M. Cuomo Bridge today.

    Gov. Andrew Cuomo and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton were joined by other dignitaries for the official opening ceremony of the Mario M. Cuomo Bridge today.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."