Bodega owner’s heroism shines light on ‘Safe Haven Zone’ initiativePosted: Updated:
A bodega owners act of heroism earlier this week has prompted others to call for more protection in the community.
Highbridge bodega owner Edward Lara helped a teen Monday night that was being chased into his business by a group of men. Lara stood outside the store and would not let the men inside.
The incident was eerily comparable to the events leading up to the death of Lesandro "Junior" Guzman Feliz back in June.
Councilman Andy King has been pushing for more business owners to act as Lara did. Since Junior's death, he has been pushing for the “Safe Haven Zone” initiative, which would train businesses on how to react to similar situations and other emergencies.
Councilman King says he doesn't want store owners to be police officers or put themselves in harm’s way. He says he believes training for those situations could go a long way.
- The brutal attack was captured on cellphone video.The brutal attack was captured on cellphone video.
- A chaotic scene unfolded in Morris Park when a truck driver crashed into a row of parked cars before fleeing on foot, and News 12 has obtained exclusive video of the incident.
- Six people were hospitalized when flames broke out Saturday afternoon at a home in Wakefield.Six people were hospitalized when flames broke out Saturday afternoon at a home in Wakefield.
- CUNY students and supporters marched across the Brooklyn Bridge Saturday to demand that state lawmakers take action to address funding.
- One business owner is pushing to reopen his laundromat as soon as possible following a four-alarm fire on Webster Avenue Friday – but the building may need to be demolished first.
- It's National Puppy Day! Send us your photos!It's National Puppy Day! Send us your photos!
- The Yankees showed off their dining menu ahead of the new baseball season.The Yankees showed off their dining menu ahead of the new baseball season.
- The 2019 New York City St. Patrick's Day parade was held Saturday, March 16 along Fifth Avenue, from 44th Street to 79th Street.
- Performers at the Great South Bay Music Festival in Patchogue July 18 - July 21.Performers at the Great South Bay Music Festival in Patchogue July 18 - July 21.
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.