Group helps talented low-income students through HS application processPosted: Updated:
Members of Breakthrough New York say they are helping talented low-income students through the high school application process as the deadline to apply looms.
The last day to apply for high schools within the Department of Education's jurisdiction is Dec. 14 The original deadline was Monday, but it was extended.
Breakthrough New York works with students from middle school all the way through college graduation.
Students accepted into the program must have good grades and come from families with proven financial need.
The group says 100 percent of its students go to college prep schools.
The group works with students during their summer and after-school programs.
News 12 met with members of Breakthrough New York and students at the Bronx Center for Science and Mathematics Monday. The students get mentors, school recommendations, admissions test prep and interview prep. Parents of the students get special informational sessions.
- Police say they're searching for two people wanted in connection to a shooting in Clason Point on Oct. 13.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- Police say they're searching for a man wanted in connection to a robbery in Longwood on Oct. 8.Police say they're searching for a man wanted in connection to a robbery in Longwood on Oct. 8.
- Jose Altuve, the 5-foot-6 driving force of Houston, delivered a swing that will play in Astros' highlights forever.
- National Youth Confidence Day encourages us to connect and inspire today's youth.National Youth Confidence Day encourages us to connect and inspire today's youth.
- Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez showed support for who she thinks should be the next president of the United States as she attended a Bernie Sanders rally in Queens Saturday.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
News 12 The Bronx wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedBX.
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the boroughs for beer-lovers to visit.