Coastal Flood STATEMENT in effect for:
‘Unsafe for the kids:’ Parents urge DOT to fix nightmare intersectionPosted: Updated:
Concerned parents are calling for more to be done about a busy intersection without a crossing guard just two blocks from an elementary.
Parents say children crossing the street at 177th Street and East Tremont Avenue to go to school are put in harm’s way.
With multiple lanes of traffic going in different directions at the five-way intersection and no pedestrian plazas or crossing guards, students at nearby P.S. 6 and P.S. 214 walk unprotected across the street, often stopping in the middle of the lanes.
"It is a little bit unsafe for the kids and the cars go really fast, I think because of the highways right here," says Alisha Izquirdo, of West Farms.
Just one block up at East Tremont Avenue and Boston Road, there are two crossing guards, but people in the area say that's not good enough.
NYPD officers at the 48th Precinct are looking into the problem, but say placing a new crossing guard is a long process that goes through several agencies. One of those agencies is the Department of Transportation.
The DOT tells News 12 the intersection, which it calls “complex,” is already on its radar with a new layout and a plan for it is in its final design phase.
The DOT said in a statement, “These new designs will better organize pedestrian and vehicle movements, extend sidewalks and add pedestrian refuge islands to shorten pedestrian crossing distances.”
The DOT tells News 12 the plan will include new street lighting and traffic signals.
People in the area say they just want the intersection made safer as soon as possible.
- Newly released body camera footage shows deadly police-involved shootingNewly released body camera footage shows deadly police-involved shooting
- Weekend traffic advisory for Jan. 25-Jan.26
- A Bronx woman is facing murder charges in connection to a homicide that happened in Brooklyn Thursday night.A Bronx woman is facing murder charges in connection to a homicide that happened in Brooklyn Thursday night.
- The On Barre - Barre Method works your lower body, including your thighs, glutes, hamstrings and calves.The On Barre - Barre Method works your lower body, including your thighs, glutes, hamstrings and calves.
- National Florida Day recognizes the 27th state to join the United States.National Florida Day recognizes the 27th state to join the United States.
- Sights and Scenes from 2020 BroadwayCon in New York City.Sights and Scenes from 2020 BroadwayCon in New York City.
- Chinese health authorities urged people in the city of Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.Chinese health authorities urged people in the city of Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.
- Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!