Excessive Heat WARNING in effect for:
Cause sought in Co-Op City fire that sent family to hospitalPosted: Updated:
FDNY crews were back at the scene Sunday of the Co-op City apartment where a family of five was rescued from a fire on Saturday.
Fire officials say the flames broke out around 10:15 a.m. at a high-rise building on Baychester Avenue.
The tenants of the apartment have been displaced, but all survived the scary situation.
When firefighters arrived, they found the father unconscious in the hallway after suffering from smoke inhalation.
They were able to drag him to a stairway and then searched the apartment to find a mother and three children inside.
Firefighters say they performed advanced life care on at least one child who had respiratory failure.
Tenants say they saw the damage the fire left on the family.
"I saw them taking one of the tenants out," said Henry Morales. "There was black smoke all over his face."
News 12 is told the family was taken to New York City Health and Hospitals-Jacobi to be treated. Four members of the family were taken in serious condition.
The Red Cross tells News 12 it left their contact information for the displaced family if they are in need of a place to stay.
The FDNY says the cause of the fire is still under investigation.
Cause sought in Co-Op City fire that sent family to hospitalMore>>
- A family of five is recovering after a fire sparked in their Co-op City apartment, and one of their children was critically injured.A family of five is recovering after a fire sparked in their Co-op City apartment, and one of their children was critically injured.
- The extreme heat is here and is expected to stay through the weekend with temperatures increasing to dangerous levels.
- Isle of Skye is an economic Scottish-themed tile-laying game.Isle of Skye is an economic Scottish-themed tile-laying game.
- Hoy las temperaturas se sentirán por encima de los 100 grados Fahrenheit, así que a tomar mucha agua.
- Southwest Airlines has taken the Boeing 737 Max out of its schedule through November.Southwest Airlines has taken the Boeing 737 Max out of its schedule through November.
- Lots of people have a tough time falling asleep. Some use noise making machines to help them catch some "Zs."
- When Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin took their first steps on the moon in 1969, the world was watching.
- Storm photos in July from around the tri-state area.Storm photos in July from around the tri-state area.
News 12 The Bronx wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedBX.
- Here is the 2019 lineup for SummerStage in Central Park.Here is the 2019 lineup for SummerStage in Central Park.
- Looking for a place to listen to some music or see a local play? Here is a list of concert venues in the Tri-state area.