Officials: 1 dead, 5 others affected by carbon monoxide exposure in Bronx building

Posted: Updated:
FORDHAM -

Officials say one person has died after being exposed to carbon monoxide in a two-story home in Fordham.

News 12 The Bronx is told that a leak at the home on Walton Avenue was reported around 9 p.m. Saturday night.

Fire officials say carbon monoxide levels were extremely high in the building, reaching up to 300 parts per million.

They say that a total of six people required medical attention, including two EMTs. The extent of their injuries is unclear at this time.

According to officials, the person who died suffered from cardiac arrest. Neighbors tell News 12 that they believe the individual was a visitor, not a tenant of the home.

The Department of Buildings has since issued a summons and multiple violations to the building. An order to vacate has also been stated.

After further investigation, the Department of Buildings tells News 12 that the second floor and basement of the home had been converted into 10 illegal single-room occupancy units.

In response to the incident, The Red Cross is advising residents to install carbon monoxide alarms on every level of their homes, have heating systems inspected annually and to never use a generator, grill or camp stove indoors.

The FDNY is reportedly investigating a defected boiler. It is not clear whether there were carbon monoxide detectors in the building at the time of the leak.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."