‘Operation Hollywood:’ 2 men arrested for smuggling guns, high-capacity magazinesPosted: Updated:
Police have arrested two men accused of smuggling guns and multiple clips of ammunition into the Bronx.
Police coined the investigation leading to the arrests “Operation Hollywood.”
According to investigators, the sting really kicked off in December 2017 in a Little Caesar’s parking lot on Westchester Avenue.
An undercover detective, paid a man identified as Smithson, who went by the name Hollywood, $5,900 for weapons.
The undercover detective bought six pistols and seven magazines that could hold 10 rounds.
What sources say stood out was the four magazines, capable of holding 30 rounds each and a drum magazine that could hook up to a pistol letting the shooter fire 50 rounds.
In August 2018, investigators say an undercover detective met the same suspect as well as his partner identified as Jones at a home on Tinton Avenue.
Sources say the suspects laid six guns on the bed and six magazines. The detective bought it all for $7,000.
The suspects were arrested less than a block away after using an Uber after the sale.
In that car, police found four more guns, magazines and another 50-round drum.
The two men rented a basement apartment in Morrisania from a man who says it is frightening to think at times his grandchildren were in the same house.
"Basically we had two felons in our house overnight with my grandchildren; it's kind of scary to have that happen to you,” said the homeowner, who did not wish to be identified.
He says the men were nice, well-spoken and kept a low profile.
"[Investigators] knocked on my door a few minutes later and asked if they could come in and look around, and they just said they arrested them and couldn't tell me what was going on,” says the homeowner.
The owner of the home says he rented out the apartment through Airbnb and is calling on the company to conduct better background checks, but says he isn't letting gun traffickers get in the way of renting out the family home.
- An arrest made by police in connection to a domestic violence incident led to the discovery of an arsenal of guns.
- Detectives are looking for a man in his mid-20s after a 20-year-old man was shot in the leg near a playground Wednesday.
- Two people are wanted for questioning after shots were fired on Marmion Avenue.Two people are wanted for questioning after shots were fired on Marmion Avenue.
- Alvarez, an admitted member of the Trinitarios gang, is charged with second-degree murder, along with eight other men.
- Police are on the hunt for the person who robbed a 60-year-old man in his apartment at knifepoint Monday.
- Fleet Week New York started May 22. This year marks the 31st annual event that features a week filled of activities, themed events and live demonstrations.
- Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- The 2019 performer lineup for Madison Square Garden.The 2019 performer lineup for Madison Square Garden.
- Leandra Feliz, mother of Lesandro "Junior" Guzman-Feliz, had to be escorted out of the courtroom after appearing to lose control during the trial of five men charged with Guzman-Feliz’s murder.
- Madre de Lesandro Guzmán sufre crisis nerviosa en pleno juicio. Además buenas noticias para trabajadores agrícolas en NY.
- Dressbarn says it expects to have all its 650 stores closed in the first half of 2020.Dressbarn says it expects to have all its 650 stores closed in the first half of 2020.
- Gesille Dixon received the 2019 Sloan Public Service Award for her dedication in promoting literacy throughout the Bronx.
- Fleet Week fans have a chance to check out the USNS Burlington at SUNY Maritime.Fleet Week fans have a chance to check out the USNS Burlington at SUNY Maritime.