Volunteers needed for homeless outreach surveyPosted: Updated:
The Department of Homeless Services is counting on everyday New Yorkers to help the vulnerable homeless population during the coldest months of the year, and it’s calling on volunteers to pitch in.
The Homeless Outreach Population Estimate, or HOPE, is a chance for New Yorkers to positively impact those who live on the city’s streets. Every year, thousands of people throughout the five boroughs participate in the event, which sees volunteers going through parks, streets and other public spaces to identify people who are living unsheltered.
HOPE is required by the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development. It’s considered to be one of the most comprehensive efforts nationwide effectively providing services and resources to those who are experiencing chronic street homelessness.
Volunteers are needed Monday night from around 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. Organizers say just one night of your time can help collect critical information to move people from the streets into a stable environment.
For more information or to sign up, visit NYC.gov/HOPE.
- City Island residents are facing puddles, wet streets and heavy downfalls Saturday, causing one street to flood earlier in the day.
- A man was slashed in the face just before 8 a.m. Saturday, police say.A man was slashed in the face just before 8 a.m. Saturday, police say.
- For every beer purchased, a dollar went toward a relief fund known as Friends of Puerto Rico.For every beer purchased, a dollar went toward a relief fund known as Friends of Puerto Rico.
- The Sato Project, an organization with an office in DUMBO, Brooklyn, is working to help dogs left abandoned after several earthquakes hit Puerto Rico. The goal is to help these dogs find homes.
- Bronx boxing gym El Maestro Inc. is sending donations to Puerto Rico following a series of earthquakes.
- Did you snap a photo of a rainbow when the skies cleared on Jan. 25? We want to see!Did you snap a photo of a rainbow when the skies cleared on Jan. 25? We want to see!
- Sights and Scenes from 2020 BroadwayCon in New York City.Sights and Scenes from 2020 BroadwayCon in New York City.
- Chinese health authorities urged people in the city of Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.Chinese health authorities urged people in the city of Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.