Coastal Flood STATEMENT in effect for:
‘Where Love is Illegal’ exhibit opens at Bronx Documentary CenterPosted: Updated:
The Bronx Documentary Center kicked off its new exhibition Saturday night called “Where Love is Illegal.”
The exhibit documents places around the world where it is illegal to be gay.
"I started this work in 2014 in Nigeria and I heard about five young men in the north of the country that had been arrested for committing same-sex acts, so I wanted to meet them so I could tell their stories,” says photojournalist Robin Hammond.
Hammond allowed his 14 subjects to be posed however they wanted and to write whatever they felt for the exhibition.
"It's really important to me that they have some control of their narrative. Given that the story of their lives and their communities are often controlled by people that are hostile towards them," says Hammond.
- The pandemic is taking a toll on New York City’s first responders and MTA employees.The pandemic is taking a toll on New York City’s first responders and MTA employees.
- “The Tonight Show’s” Jimmy Fallon and comedian Adam Sandler have created a lighthearted song about keeping safe during the coronavirus pandemic.
- Sen. Bernie Sanders dropping out of the race leaves former Vice President Joe Biden as the presumptive Democratic nominee.
- New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo is holding a briefing on the COVID-19 response.New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo is holding a briefing on the COVID-19 response.
- There are plenty of classic shows on TV to enjoy. Here are a few in no order, without regard to genre.
- This week's Super Pink Moon is the biggest full moon of 2020. Did you see it? Share your photos with us.
- In these trying times, we can all use a breath of fresh air every once in a while. News 12 wants to see your scenic photos while you get your breath of fresh air.
- These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.
- From doctors and nurses to firefighters and police officers. From grocery store workers to news media and beyond. There are many who work hard to keep things running, keep us informed and keep us safe.
- Celebrating Easter or Passover is a little different this year. So, we want to see how you are celebrating. News 12 wants to see all of your photos, including throwbacks!