Fire officials: Space heater sparked Concourse Village fire; nearly 60 displaced

Posted: Updated:
MORRISANIA -

Fire officials say an electrical space heater sparked a fire on Saturday in Concourse Village that has left nearly 60 people without a place to call home.

The three-alarm fire tore through several buildings around 3 a.m. on East 163rd Street. 

MORE: Officials: Nearly 6 dozen displaced following 3-alarm Morrisania fire 

The American Red Cross wants to make sure people know how to safely use electrical heaters:

  • Always place the heater on the ground, not on any furniture
  • Make sure it’s plugged into a safe outlet
  • Place them on a ceramic or tile floor, not on a rug or near bedding

The Red Cross also says to never use a stovetop or oven to heat a home.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."