NYC comptroller: MTA misleading residents about subway delaysPosted: Updated:
The city's comptroller is calling for more transparency at the MTA in light of allegations that the agency is misleading residents about subway delays.
Comproller Scott Stringer claims the MTA is operating under what he calls a "culture of concealment," saying research done by his office reveals the agency is not being honest about the real reasons behind subway delays and hasn't been for years.
Stringer says his staff reviewed internal MTA memos and interviews with employees to find that the causes of subway delays are often categorized incorrectly, and that the agency's operational failures are overlooked.
He says the documents also show that agency executives were warned that "wait assessment scores" to measure how long passengers wait for a subway were seemingly meaningless, yet they used that data to support claims that service was improving throughout 2016.
The comproller says while he acknowledges improvements made to the reporting system under current New York City Transit President Andy Byford, he's still calling for more transparency.
The MTA responded in a statement that reads in part, "NYC Transit's performance reporting is among the most transparent in the world, is only getting better with ongoing reforms, and what we really need is modern signaling systemwide that allows officials to see real-time diagnostics and the exact movements of trains at all times."
The agency says that to get that done, it needs congestion pricing legislation to be passed. Stringer says he will be heading to Albany on Monday to discuss that legislation.
- Madre de Lesandro Guzmán sufre crisis nerviosa en pleno juicio. Además buenas noticias para trabajadores agrícolas en NY.
- Dressbarn says it expects to have all its 650 stores closed in the first half of 2020.Dressbarn says it expects to have all its 650 stores closed in the first half of 2020.
- Gesille Dixon received the 2019 Sloan Public Service Award for her dedication in promoting literacy throughout the Bronx.
- Fleet Week fans have a chance to check out the USNS Burlington at SUNY Maritime.Fleet Week fans have a chance to check out the USNS Burlington at SUNY Maritime.
- Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- The 2019 performer lineup for Madison Square Garden.The 2019 performer lineup for Madison Square Garden.