#N12BX: Ruben Diaz Sr. faces backlash for remarksPosted: Updated:
City Councilman Ruben Diaz Sr. is in hot water again, this time for his recent comments that many are calling homophobic.
Last week, Diaz Sr. said the City Council is “controlled by the homosexual community.”
“I’m the victim. They’re not the victims. ‘Oh, he’s a homophobic,’ because I said they controlled the council. They’re not the victim. I’m giving them credit,” says Diaz Sr.
It’s not the first time Diaz Sr. has stirred up controversy with the LGBTQ community.
In 1994, he wrote that “gay games” in New York would lead to an increase in AIDS and cause wider acceptance of homosexuality by young people.
The politician cast the sole Democratic vote to block gay marriage in the state in 2011 as a state senator.
He also held multiple rallies in opposition to same-sex marriage.
There have been multiple calls from city politicians for Diaz Sr. to apologize for his recent remarks.
His own son, Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr., even requested an apology in a tweet Saturday.
- Two big retail stores are in hot water.Two big retail stores are in hot water.
- Those traveling around the city this weekend may be able to ditch their MetroCard.Those traveling around the city this weekend may be able to ditch their MetroCard.
- Allergic reactions can be deadly.Allergic reactions can be deadly.
- Do you dread your commute?Do you dread your commute?
- When was the last time you wrote in cursive?When was the last time you wrote in cursive?