#N12BX: Screen timePosted: Updated:
Is your child glued to your cellphone or tablet?
Screen time for a child under 2 years old has more than doubled since 1997.
A new study from the journal JAMA Pediatrics reports daily screen time for children under two went from 1.3 hours in 1997 to 3 hours in 2014.
The study looked at the use of television, computers, cellphones, tablets and other devices.
Television time saw the biggest jump, from 30 minutes to more than 2.5 hours daily.
Excessive screen time for young children has been linked to delays in cognitive, verbal and social growth.
It is also an increased risk for obesity and impaired sleep.
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends children under 18 months avoid screens all together.
It also suggests limiting screen time to one hour per day for children aged 2 to 5 years old.
Do you limit your child’s screen time?
- Two big retail stores are in hot water.Two big retail stores are in hot water.
- Those traveling around the city this weekend may be able to ditch their MetroCard.Those traveling around the city this weekend may be able to ditch their MetroCard.
- Allergic reactions can be deadly.Allergic reactions can be deadly.
- Do you dread your commute?Do you dread your commute?
- When was the last time you wrote in cursive?When was the last time you wrote in cursive?