New programming to help juveniles added to Horizon Juvenile CenterPosted: Updated:
New classes introduced to the Horizon Juvenile Center within the last two months are trying to get juveniles back on track.
The Raise Your Age legislation enacted last fall required only inmates 18 years or older be treated as adults, forcing all 16- and 17-year-olds at Rikers Island to be transferred to juvenile facilities such as Horizon. Horizon, run by ACS and now the DOC, housed younger kids before the new law.
Executive director Susan Campos says as a result, there were major riots at the center last fall. The new classes, she says, are meant to give them important life skills.
Campos says the center added three new classrooms to accommodate the 60 incarcerated youth. The teenagers also get regular instruction from teachers from the Department of Education.
She says she hopes to expand vocational programming even more in the months to come.
- A scary scene unfolded Monday night as a high school basketball game was interrupted by gunshots.A scary scene unfolded Monday night as a high school basketball game was interrupted by gunshots.
- The U.S. has its first case of a new virus that was found only last month in China.The U.S. has its first case of a new virus that was found only last month in China.
- Relief efforts are continuing in Puerto Rico after the island experienced several earthquakes in recent weeks.
- Tesla says that claims that its cars could suddenly accelerate on their own are 'completely false' and peddled by short sellers.
- The 71-year-old Grammy winner and former vocalist for Black Sabbath said during an interview on “Good Morning America” that the diagnosis came after a fall last year.
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.
- Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!
- A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck Puerto Rico, killing one man, injuring at least eight other people and collapsing buildings in the southern part of the island.
- News 12 The Bronx wants to announce your wedding.News 12 The Bronx wants to announce your wedding.