Building workers threaten to strike over wagesPosted: Updated:
Bronx building workers gathered at Borough Hall to demand fair wages and benefits ahead of their upcoming contract negotiations.
Members of the Service Employees International Union of the local 32BJ say if they don't see what they feel they deserve in their new contracts, then they will strike.
Leaders of 32BJ say they are demanding wages and benefits that keep up with the rising cost of living in the Bronx.
They say the porters, doormen and building workers make Bronx residents feel safe and without them, the borough would be in trouble.
"Anytime property service workers have to take to the streets for a contract injustice, it impacts the city," said Kyle Bragg of 32BJ.
City Comptroller Scott Stringer, Borough President Ruben Diaz and other elected officials and activists joined the workers in their cause.
"It's important that the other people that are on the other side of that table that are negotiating the contract, they understand how much this means to 32BJ members and U.S. elected officials that we're standing here in 20-degree weather," Diaz said.
The Reality Advisory Board has until March 14 to come up with a new contract.
If 32BJ does not approve the new contract, they have the authorization to go on strike.
News 12 reached out to the Reality Advisory Board. They said they have no comment.
- A scary scene unfolded Monday night as a high school basketball game was interrupted by gunshots.A scary scene unfolded Monday night as a high school basketball game was interrupted by gunshots.
- The U.S. has its first case of a new virus that was found only last month in China.The U.S. has its first case of a new virus that was found only last month in China.
- Relief efforts are continuing in Puerto Rico after the island experienced several earthquakes in recent weeks.
- Tesla says that claims that its cars could suddenly accelerate on their own are 'completely false' and peddled by short sellers.
- The 71-year-old Grammy winner and former vocalist for Black Sabbath said during an interview on “Good Morning America” that the diagnosis came after a fall last year.The 71-year-old Grammy winner and former vocalist for Black Sabbath said during an interview on “Good Morning America” that the diagnosis came after a fall last year.
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.
- Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!
- A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck Puerto Rico, killing one man, injuring at least eight other people and collapsing buildings in the southern part of the island.
- News 12 The Bronx wants to announce your wedding.News 12 The Bronx wants to announce your wedding.