Rent loophole causing financial chaos for NYC residentsPosted: Updated:
A rent-stabilized apartment is a New York City dream -- until rent is hiked anyway.
Ernie Figueroa, a 10-year tenant in his building, lives in an apartment with preferential rent. It is a loophole in state laws that say rent can be raised any amount as long as it does not exceed the legal regulated rent.
"You want to know why crime is so high? It's because people are going crazy because of financial stress, and this is caused by a loophole in our state rent laws," says Figueroa.
Figueroa says he pays $1,100 per month for his one-bedroom apartment. His new lease says the legal rent is $2,543 a month.
News 12 spoke to management for the building, which said the numbers Figueroa is claiming were a lie. When asked to check what the actual numbers were, management said there were too many leases on their desk and they were unable to check themselves.
There are motions to outlaw the legal rent hike. Figueroa hopes the new Democratic majority in Albany will help him out.
- City Island residents are facing puddles, wet streets and heavy downfalls Saturday, causing one street to flood earlier in the day.
- A man was slashed in the face just before 8 a.m. Saturday, police say.A man was slashed in the face just before 8 a.m. Saturday, police say.
- For every beer purchased, a dollar went toward a relief fund known as Friends of Puerto Rico.For every beer purchased, a dollar went toward a relief fund known as Friends of Puerto Rico.
- The Sato Project, an organization with an office in DUMBO, Brooklyn, is working to help dogs left abandoned after several earthquakes hit Puerto Rico. The goal is to help these dogs find homes.
- Bronx boxing gym El Maestro Inc. is sending donations to Puerto Rico following a series of earthquakes.
- Did you snap a photo of a rainbow when the skies cleared on Jan. 25? We want to see!Did you snap a photo of a rainbow when the skies cleared on Jan. 25? We want to see!
- Sights and Scenes from 2020 BroadwayCon in New York City.Sights and Scenes from 2020 BroadwayCon in New York City.
- Chinese health authorities urged people in the city of Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.Chinese health authorities urged people in the city of Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.