Port Morris residents: Partial wall collapse isn't surprisingPosted: Updated:
Bricks remain on the ground of a Port Morris street one day after a partial wall collapse that damaged several vehicles.
Those who live near East 140th Street and Walnut Avenue say they are just happy no one was injured after portions of the wall of the building that houses Paper Enterprises Inc. came crashing down Wednesday.
Others say they are not very surprised by the incident. One resident says there are a few old buildings in the area that are not taken care of.
"They don't do anything about it until this happens. Everything needs to be torn down and fixed back up," said one person.
The Department of Buildings say the building is not at risk of collapsing, but out of caution, they've cornered off Walnut Avenue between East 140th and 139th streets.
The DOB did have an open violation on the building from 10 years ago. They've now issued a new violation to the the building owner, ordering him to install a sidewalk shed and hire an engineer for evaluation.
- City Island residents are facing puddles, wet streets and heavy downfalls Saturday, causing one street to flood earlier in the day.
- A man was slashed in the face just before 8 a.m. Saturday, police say.A man was slashed in the face just before 8 a.m. Saturday, police say.
- The Sato Project, an organization with an office in DUMBO, Brooklyn, is working to help dogs left abandoned after several earthquakes hit Puerto Rico. The goal is to help these dogs find homes.
- Bronx boxing gym El Maestro Inc. is sending donations to Puerto Rico following a series of earthquakes.
- A man was shot three times early Saturday in Williamsbridge, police say.A man was shot three times early Saturday in Williamsbridge, police say.
- Did you snap a photo of a rainbow when the skies cleared on Jan. 25? We want to see!Did you snap a photo of a rainbow when the skies cleared on Jan. 25? We want to see!
- Sights and Scenes from 2020 BroadwayCon in New York City.Sights and Scenes from 2020 BroadwayCon in New York City.
- Chinese health authorities urged people in the city of Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.Chinese health authorities urged people in the city of Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.