#N12BX: Probation potPosted: Updated:
Should people on probation be drug tested for marijuana?
The City Council is set to discuss a bill that would bar the Department of Probation from drug testing for pot, with the goal of breaking the cycle of incarceration.
The Daily News notes that in 2018, 20,000 adults and teens were on probation and 600 were tested for marijuana. About 270 people were rearrested on a marijuana charge that year.
The bill was proposed in February by the Council’s Public Safety Committee Chair Donovan Richards.
This comes as the state has legalized medical marijuana and the city has adopted a “summons over arrest” policy for marijuana possession for those not on parole or probation.
Should the Department of Corrections be barred from testing for marijuana?
- Those traveling around the city this weekend may be able to ditch their MetroCard.Those traveling around the city this weekend may be able to ditch their MetroCard.
- Allergic reactions can be deadly.Allergic reactions can be deadly.
- Do you dread your commute?Do you dread your commute?
- When was the last time you wrote in cursive?When was the last time you wrote in cursive?
- Is subway graffiti making a comeback?Is subway graffiti making a comeback?