Morris Park businesses rejoice as Vision Zero construction put on holdPosted: Updated:
Morris Park business leaders say they are relieved after a court ruled in favor of temporarily barring the city from moving forward with its Vision Zero plan for the area.
Construction was supposed to already have started on Morris Park Avenue to add 1.5 miles of bike lanes, turning lanes and high-visibility crosswalks, while removing what the DOT called a "low-volume travel lane."
Councilman Mark Gjonaj joined in the celebration on the decision that they say would have affected parking, damaged local business and worsened congestion.
"This should be a wake up call to this administration, so we can reconsider the 'City Hall knows' approach, and have a dialog with the community on the best way forward," says Gjonaj.
In a prior report, a DOT spokesperson told News 12 that Morris Park Avenue is a Vision Zero priority corridor where multiple fatalities have been reported.
Area residents say they aren't against safety projects, but want to see other ideas brought to the table.
Another court hearing is expected by the end of the month.
- Transportation advocates are calling on the MTA and Gov. Andrew Cuomo to give Bronx bus commuters their fair share in a systemwide restructuring plan.Transportation advocates are calling on the MTA and Gov. Andrew Cuomo to give Bronx bus commuters their fair share in a systemwide restructuring plan.
- Local lawmakers met with commuters Wednesday to discuss issues they face on mass transit as part of the third annual Riders Respond Transit Tour.Local lawmakers met with commuters Wednesday to discuss issues they face on mass transit as part of the third annual Riders Respond Transit Tour.
- A lawmaker is calling out the MTA for the lack of accessibility at one of the Bronx's busiest subway stations.A lawmaker is calling out the MTA for the lack of accessibility at one of the Bronx's busiest subway stations.
- Big changes are on the way to the Major Deegan Expressway to improve the ever-present traffic problems on one stretch of the interstate.Big changes are on the way to the Major Deegan Expressway to improve the ever-present traffic problems on one stretch of the interstate.
- Montefiore Medical Center held a special event for mothers Thursday in honor of Breastfeeding Awareness Month.Montefiore Medical Center held a special event for mothers Thursday in honor of Breastfeeding Awareness Month.
- The 2019 MTV VMAs will be live from the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey on Monday, Aug. 26. Who can you expect to see as part of the star-studded night?
- The premiere for the sixth season of Starz's show "Power" was held Tuesday night at Madison Square Garden.
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.
- An off-duty NYPD officer died after suffering a medical episode behind the wheel and crashing in Kingsbridge Heights.
- A Riverdale artist is brightening up the walls of a local cafe with her work, which she creates using a fun and messy technique.
- A sports league is bringing a slice of Ireland to the borough. Members play camogie, hurling and Gaelic football.
- Saturday marked one year since the death of Lisa Marie Velasquez, the woman whose grisly killing was uncovered when her body parts were found in two different Bronx parks last summer.
- A Bronx woman was fatally struck by a vehicle Saturday morning in White Plains, and the driver has been charged with DWI.