2 suspects in 'Junior' trial unable to appear in court Friday

Posted: Updated:
THE BRONX -

The first week in the trial of Lesandro 'Junior' Guzman-Feliz came to a halt Friday after two of the five people accused of murdering the Belmont teen were not able to make it to court.

The no-show comes one day after DNA expert testimony revealed blood stains in two apparent getaway cars contained the DNA of murder suspect Elvin Garcia.

Judge Robert Neary would not say which of the two defendants could not make it to court, but did say one was sick.

Detective Francis Orlando wheeled out a cart of what appeared to be bags of criminal evidence once court was adjourned Friday. Orlando took the stand after DNA expert Matthew Benintendo Thursday.

FULL COVERAGE: Justice for Junior

Defense attorney and legal expert Chris Carrion says he was baffled by Benintendo's testimony that Guzman-Feliz's clothes were never submitted for DNA testing.

"It's shocking because, as an investigator, I think the victim's clothing should be one of the first things you look at," says Carrion. "There's obviously going to be some of his DNA in a crime like this, you would assume that some of the suspects may have shed some skin cells, which would could provide DNA."

Based on evidence that has been seen so far, none of the defendants have DNA matches to criminal evidence besides Garcia, according to testimony.

During cross-examination, Garcia's lawyer raised the point that testing cannot determine when Garcia's blood was deposited in those vehicles, one of which also contained the blood of Guzman-Feliz.

Benintendo's testimony also pointed out that even the blades and knives submitted to the medical examiner showed too little DNA to tie to a suspect.

Orlando then testified that it did downpour shortly after Guzman-Feliz was killed.

Testimony will continue on Tuesday.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."