Community activist calls for cleanup of Mount Hope ‘trash home’ near schoolPosted: Updated:
A Mount Hope home is littered with needles and trash, and one community activist is calling on the owner to clean it up.
Community activist Sydney Flores says if the owner refuses to clean up he wants the city to step in and start issuing violations.
The home at 247 East 175th St. is steps away from where children walk to school.
"We saw needles upstairs, actually I saw those needles the first time today when I noticed blood stains on the wall,” says Flores.
The Department of Buildings says there was an illegal cellar apartment in the home back in 2013 and issued a partial vacate order.
They say in subsequent years the DOB has issued multiple follow-up violations for continued non-compliance to remove the illegal apartment.
It now appears no one lives inside, but there's plenty of trash outside.
"You got kids going back and forth in this neighborhood, little kids and you never know if a rat is going to come out of there and bite somebody,” says Flores.
The Department of Sanitation says building owners are responsible to keep properties clean.
According to city’s Department of Finance records, the home is owned by 175th Street LLC.
News 12 was unsuccessful in speaking to someone with knowledge of ownership of the property.
Officials say neighbors can report dirty conditions to 311, to keep problems like this from getting worse.
- An off-duty NYPD officer died after suffering a medical episode behind the wheel and crashing in Kingsbridge Heights.
- Police say they've arrested a Bronx man in connection to a forcible touching incident of a 14-year-old girl in Manhattan.Police say they've arrested a Bronx man in connection to a forcible touching incident of a 14-year-old girl in Manhattan.
- Police say a man was fatally shot in the back in Norwood early Sunday morning.Police say a man was fatally shot in the back in Norwood early Sunday morning.
- Staying angry with a loved one can be harmful - that's why today is a day to reconcile. Are you making up with someone on National Kiss and Make Up Day?
- A Riverdale artist is brightening up the walls of a local cafe with her work, which she creates using a fun and messy technique.
- The 2019 MTV VMAs will be live from the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey on Monday, Aug. 26. Who can you expect to see as part of the star-studded night?
- The premiere for the sixth season of Starz's show "Power" was held Tuesday night at Madison Square Garden.
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.