Elephant at Bronx Zoo at center of legal fight as protesters seek relocation to sanctuaryPosted: Updated:
A legal battle is underway to have an elephant moved from the Bronx Zoo to a sanctuary, and her supporters say the creature should be considered a person.
Protesters say the elephant, named Happy, is not happy at the zoo at all. Now a lawsuit for an order of habeas corpus is headed to Bronx Supreme Court in a legal fight waged by the Nonhuman Rights Project against the Wildlife Conservation Society, which runs the Bronx Zoo.
At the crux of the suit is whether an elephant has the right to legal personhood and bodily liberty, to know what's best for itself.
Happy is a female Asian elephant born in 1971. She has had many homes, and has been at the Bronx Zoo for years.
Since the zoo announced it would phase out its elephant exhibit entirely, it's managing the elephants already there through the end of their lives, though Happy now lives alone.
The zoo says sanctuaries confine animals, too -- just in larger spaces. In a statement, it told News 12, "Information is being circulated... [that] lacks any direct knowledge about our individual elephants."
WCS says that Happy is content and is evaluated frequently by people who have cared for her for years.
News 12 is told the case is awaiting assignment to a judge to move forward.
- Immigration advocates are warning that an expansion of the public charge rule could put millions of undocumented immigrants at risk.
- Morris Park residents flocked to Loreto Playground Sunday for an end-of-summer celebration.Morris Park residents flocked to Loreto Playground Sunday for an end-of-summer celebration.
- The Rams will open their season next week against Central Connecticut.The Rams will open their season next week against Central Connecticut.
- Police say they've arrested a Bronx man in connection to a forcible touching incident of a 14-year-old girl in Manhattan.
- New York and New Jersey submitted a new plan for a rail tunnel project under the Hudson River that cuts nearly $1.5 billion off the previous cost estimate.
- Photos from the 44th Hampton Classic in Bridgehampton.Photos from the 44th Hampton Classic in Bridgehampton.
- First serve! Check out some of the food options at the 2019 US Open at USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Queens.
- The 2019 MTV VMAs will be live from the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey on Monday, Aug. 26. Who can you expect to see as part of the star-studded night?
- The premiere for the sixth season of Starz's show "Power" was held Tuesday night at Madison Square Garden.
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary