Belmont residents: DOT changes to intersection increasing accidentsPosted: Updated:
Belmont residents say safety changes to an intersection made by the Department of Transportation are having the opposite effect.
Bollards were installed in the middle of the Hughes and Fordham avenues intersection as part of Mayor Bill de Blasio’s Vision Zero street safety initiative.
The DOT says this is to slow down cars turning at the intersection and to make the crosswalk safer for pedestrians.
But longtime resident Frank Franz says there have been more accidents since the bollards have been installed. He says the signs that are supposed to warn drivers of the poles have been knocked over from the accidents in the area.
A DOT spokesman says the department is aware of the community’s concerns and is looking to install additional signage.
- The Fight for the 15th Congressional District is heating up as another candidate joins the race to fill the seat held by retiring Congressman Jose Serrano.
- Democrats spent more time making the case for their ability to beat President Donald Trump than trying to defeat each other in their fifth debate Wednesday night.
- The Bronx is celebrating Puerto Rican heritage and honoring some notable members of the community.The Bronx is celebrating Puerto Rican heritage and honoring some notable members of the community.
- 'Tis the season to give back. The United States Postal Service is kicking off its Operation Santa campaign.
- The Yankees have given up on Jacoby Ellsbury, cutting the oft-injured outfielder with more than $26 million left in his $153 million, seven-year contract.
- Photos from the public congressional hearings as part of the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump and his administration's dealings with Ukraine.
It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!
- If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- The 2019 performer lineup for Madison Square Garden.The 2019 performer lineup for Madison Square Garden.