Community leaders cut ribbon on mixed-income building near Yankee StadiumPosted: Updated:
It was nearly eight years in the making, but the ribbon was cut Monday on the first of many new facilities slated to go up around Yankee Stadium.
Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. gathered with members of the NYC Housing Development Corporation for the ceremony at 810 River Ave. The mixed-use facility includes 134 units on 17 stories, and will cater to low-, medium- and high-income families.
It marks the first completed project of the new Yankee Stadium rezoning plan.
Community leaders and stakeholders hope the project is the beginning of a revitalized capital district in the South Bronx.
"It was important not only that this individual project was successful, but that it set a tone that people understood what we were looking for along this strip and how we were moving forward in developing this corner of the Bronx -- and it has set a wonderful tone," says Diaz.
Diaz added that more than half of the apartments in the building will be rented by people from the Bronx.
- An off-duty NYPD officer died after suffering a medical episode behind the wheel and crashing in Kingsbridge Heights.
- Police say they've arrested a Bronx man in connection to a forcible touching incident of a 14-year-old girl in Manhattan.Police say they've arrested a Bronx man in connection to a forcible touching incident of a 14-year-old girl in Manhattan.
- Police say a man was fatally shot in the back in Norwood early Sunday morning.Police say a man was fatally shot in the back in Norwood early Sunday morning.
- Staying angry with a loved one can be harmful - that's why today is a day to reconcile. Are you making up with someone on National Kiss and Make Up Day?
- A Riverdale artist is brightening up the walls of a local cafe with her work, which she creates using a fun and messy technique.
- The 2019 MTV VMAs will be live from the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey on Monday, Aug. 26. Who can you expect to see as part of the star-studded night?
- The premiere for the sixth season of Starz's show "Power" was held Tuesday night at Madison Square Garden.
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.