Seniors at Mitchel Houses struggle with elevator, security issuesPosted: Updated:
Aging NYCHA facilities are making Bronx seniors' day-to-day lives at the Mitchel Houses difficult.
Seniors who live upstairs and spend their days down at the Mitchel Neighborhood Senior Center say they are constantly stuck because of elevator issues.
NYCHA says since May, one of the elevators has had 14 outages. The other has had two.
NYCHA says the necessary elevator work is estimated at $16 million. They say they are scheduled for modernization in 2023.
Another issue residents say they have is the buildings' security. One woman says she frequently sees people sleeping on a 13th floor balcony thanks to, in part, to unlocked doors.
Residents also says trash not being taken care of has led to rats scattering around.
A NYCHA spokesperson says they are monitoring the elevators at the Mitchel Houses. News 12 is told that NYCHA has a nearly $32 billion need in capital funding in order to fix their aging building portfolio.
- An off-duty NYPD officer died after suffering a medical episode behind the wheel and crashing in Kingsbridge Heights.An off-duty NYPD officer died after suffering a medical episode behind the wheel and crashing in Kingsbridge Heights.
- Staying angry with a loved one can be harmful - that's why today is a day to reconcile. Are you making up with someone on National Kiss and Make Up Day?
- A Riverdale artist is brightening up the walls of a local cafe with her work, which she creates using a fun and messy technique.
- A sports league is bringing a slice of Ireland to the borough. Members play camogie, hurling and Gaelic football.
- Saturday marked one year since the death of Lisa Marie Velasquez, the woman whose grisly killing was uncovered when her body parts were found in two different Bronx parks last summer.Saturday marked one year since the death of Lisa Marie Velasquez, the woman whose grisly killing was uncovered when her body parts were found in two different Bronx parks last summer.
- The 2019 MTV VMAs will be live from the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey on Monday, Aug. 26. Who can you expect to see as part of the star-studded night?
- The premiere for the sixth season of Starz's show "Power" was held Tuesday night at Madison Square Garden.
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.