Mom of teen killed at HS opposes youthful offender treatment for son’s convicted killerPosted: Updated:
The mother of the teen who was fatally stabbed at his Bronx high school met with the Bronx district attorney Monday, in part to voice her concerns over the sentencing of her son’s killer.
Lounna Dennis, the mother of Matthew McRee, met with Bronx District Attorney Darcel Clark for about an hour. She thanked him and the prosecution team for their work in obtaining a guilty verdict against her son’s killer, Abel Cedeno, but also expressed her opposition to Cedeno receiving youthful offender treatment at his sentencing.
Attorney Sanford Rubenstein and Dennis told News 12 that the DA also opposes youthful offender treatment for Cedeno, but that it is up to a judge.
Cedeno faces up to 25 years in prison and under the statute, technically any person 18 and younger is entitled to a special category under special circumstances, called youthful offender, which reduces the sentence substantially.
"We do not feel based on the facts of this case that this young defendant who has been convicted of manslaughter and assault is entitled to youthful offender status, and we will make that very clear to the judge at sentencing,” says Rubenstein.
Sentencing takes place on Sept. 10.
- Police say a woman was stabbed near a park in Wakefield early Sunday morning.Police say a woman was stabbed near a park in Wakefield early Sunday morning.
- Police say a man was fatally shot in the back in Norwood early Sunday morning.Police say a man was fatally shot in the back in Norwood early Sunday morning.
- Police say two men are wanted in connection to a double shooting in Mott Haven Friday evening.Police say two men are wanted in connection to a double shooting in Mott Haven Friday evening.
- Police say two men were shot in Williamsbridge early Saturday morning after being approached by a group of unknown men.
- Immigration advocates are warning that an expansion of the public charge rule could put millions of undocumented immigrants at risk.
- Morris Park residents flocked to Loreto Playground Sunday for an end-of-summer celebration.Morris Park residents flocked to Loreto Playground Sunday for an end-of-summer celebration.
- The Rams will open their season next week against Central Connecticut.The Rams will open their season next week against Central Connecticut.
- New York and New Jersey submitted a new plan for a rail tunnel project under the Hudson River that cuts nearly $1.5 billion off the previous cost estimate.