FDNY: 1 dead, 1 seriously injured, after massive Boston Road junkyard firePosted: Updated:
The FDNY say a man was found dead, and another man is clinging to his life as a result of a massive junkyard fire Wednesday.
The FDNY said a man was dead found in the debris Thursday afternoon. It says the man was working on a metal shed at the time of the incident, and it had apparently collapsed on him.
The FDNY says the body was removed from the scene at around 7:15 p.m. More than 100 firefighters were called on Wednesday when the incident occurred.
The victim's co-workers remember the man they worked with fondly. News 12 was told the victim's wife was waiting at the scene all day for word on what happened to her husband.
Emergency crews and firefighters responded to the scene just before 3 p.m. along Boston Road where they were confronted with heavy flames that broke out at New England Used Auto Parts.
Witnesses describe hearing an explosion, but the FDNY says the sound was tires popping in the junkyard.
Fire officials say some of the debris are gas cans that are leaking flammable material.
The fire was so heavy that dark black smoke could be seen from miles away.
Steven Baez, an employee of the junkyard, was taken to the hospital with burns, according to a family member. News 12 is told he is in a coma.
A man who helps at the junkyard told News 12 he saw Baez run out of the fire, burning and asking for help.
Fire marshals are still investigating what caused this fire to erupt.
- The driver accused of hitting and killing a Bronx toddler is out of jail Thursday morning after appearing before a judge Wednesday night.
- This past Saturday, Billy Joel became the first inductee of Fenway Park's new Music Hall of Fame.This past Saturday, Billy Joel became the first inductee of Fenway Park's new Music Hall of Fame.
- Madre cuenta como fue que ella y su hijo fueron atacados a machetazos.Madre cuenta como fue que ella y su hijo fueron atacados a machetazos.
- City officials are putting pressure on the MTA, demanding the agency use money from its capital plan to build an elevator at the Parkchester train station.
- CBS, Viacom, and CNN parent company Warner Media both said they would stop airing e-cigarette advertising across their networks.
- Get ready to sample fare from baseball stadiums from across the country at the MLB FoodFest.Get ready to sample fare from baseball stadiums from across the country at the MLB FoodFest.
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- The Who perform at Jones BeachThe Who perform at Jones Beach
News 12 The Bronx wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedBX.
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the boroughs for beer-lovers to visit.