Edgewater businesses wonder when proposed ramp will be constructedPosted: Updated:
Hunts Point businesses are in limbo after they say the state Department of Transportation is giving mixed signals on a proposed ramp in Edgewater.
Jose Rosario has owned Kimby Auto Repair Corp. for more than 15 years. Rosario says three weeks ago he was paid a visit by officials who took measurements of his shop. He was told his business would be demolished because of an upcoming DOT project.
"For now we don't know nothing, we're like in the air right now," said Rosario.
The state DOT is working on its Hunts Point Interstate Access Improvement Project. The next phase is the proposed Edgewater ramps that will go over the Bruckner Expressway.
Resident Maria Torres says she last heard that the project was delayed. Torres' biggest concern is the way this will affect residents in Hunts Point, and also businesses in the area.
Torres says she also has concerns on how it will affect Hunts Point Riverside Park.
One of the amenities built in the Edgewater ramp phase would be another waterfront park, but Torres says people will still have to fight the trucks, traffic and overpasses to get there.
A state DOT spokesperson didn't give News 12 a timeline or start date to the project, but tells News 12, "After listening to the community and local elected officials, the Hunts Point Improvement Project will help create a healthier and stronger South Bronx for generations to come and it will enhance pedestrian safety, ease truck congestion, reduce noise, improve air quality for local residents and improve quality of life with enhancements for people and bicyclists."
- Two people are recovering in the hospital after a shooting in Tremont Thursday night.Two people are recovering in the hospital after a shooting in Tremont Thursday night.
- House Democrats prosecuting President Donald Trump's impeachment trial are preparing for a second day of arguments.
- Puerto Ricans showed up in the pouring rain Thursday night--fed up by recent government decisions and are asking their governor to step down.
- Chinches en el subway provoca retrasos.Chinches en el subway provoca retrasos.
- The Woodlawn Bridges to Crafts Careers Preservation training program is a nine-week paid internship to teach students the trade of masonry and restoration right in the Bronx.
- Chinese health authorities urged people in the city of Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.Chinese health authorities urged people in the city of Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.
- Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!
- A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck Puerto Rico, killing one man, injuring at least eight other people and collapsing buildings in the southern part of the island.