Coastal Flood STATEMENT in effect for:
Family of man fatally shot by police in the Bronx will file lawsuit against NYPDPosted: Updated:
The family of the man who was fatally shot by an NYPD sergeant in the Bronx last week is now suing the police department.
Relatives of Allan Feliz say they want an investigation into the situation, claiming that aspects of the story told by police don't add up.
As News 12 has reported, Feliz was shot and killed by police during a traffic stop in Norwood last week. Police say he wasn't wearing a seat belt, had three open warrants and resisted arrest.
The family is acknowledging his criminal background. They say even though Feliz was a convicted felon, they believe deadly force should not have been used.
Relatives say they have been in touch with the passenger in the vehicle, and that he says they were both wearing seat belts.
They also say that Feliz used the ID of his brother Samy, who has a clean record, so they want to know how authorities learned of his warrants.
The family is filing a notice of claim for wrongful death against the city of New York and the NYPD. They're also filing an order to show cause to prevent spoliation of evidence to make sure the NYPD doesn't destroy, alter, tamper or lose any evidence from the crime scene.
"Put the body cams on the table, put the police officer’s weapon on the table, put the Taser on the table, put the drugs on the table, put the warrant on the table," says Robert Vilensky, the family's lawyer. "Put them all out there for everyone to see. Make it as transparent as you can. If that's true, the family will live with it."
Samy Feliz says the family has been left distraught by his brother, who was the father of a 5-month-old baby.
"When you see your brother being gutted out and bleeding out in the middle of the streets with no help whatsoever... just a feeble attempt to resurrect him after he's already gone and has no further pulse. It's heartbreaking and we don't want any other family to go through this," says Samy Feliz.
In a statement, the police department said, "The NYPD's Force Investigation Division conducts comprehensive investigations in every incident where police officers discharge their service weapon and this process is active and ongoing. We will review the lawsuit when we are served."
The state attorney general will investigate the case because Feliz was unarmed at the time of the shooting.
- Fire marshals are investigating a fire that broke out Thursday night in Unionport.Fire marshals are investigating a fire that broke out Thursday night in Unionport.
It’s time to ‘pawty!’ Is your pooch an all-pro? Submit a photo of your furry friend for a chance to win a prize!
- NYC Restaurant Week is a foodie's dream come true. Hundreds of restaurants throughout the city roll out special prix-fixe tasting menus at a very affordable price.
Univision 41 News Brief: Estado de New Jersey descarta paciente y dice que no esta contagiada con el coronavirus
Univision 41 News Brief: Estado de New Jersey descarta paciente y dice que no esta contagiada con el coronavirusEstado de New Jersey descarta paciente y dice que no esta contagiada con el coronavirus.Estado de New Jersey descarta paciente y dice que no esta contagiada con el coronavirus.
- Each years robots get more lifelike, and some companies like Sony make high-tech robot dogs.Each years robots get more lifelike, and some companies like Sony make high-tech robot dogs.
- Chinese health authorities urged people in the city of Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.Chinese health authorities urged people in the city of Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.
- Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!
- A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck Puerto Rico, killing one man, injuring at least eight other people and collapsing buildings in the southern part of the island.