School helps pay tuition for student who lost home, belongings in firePosted: Updated:
A Kingsbridge school stepped in to help a Marble Hill family who lost everything in a fire over the summer.
A fire ripped through the home of Sachila Jayakody and his family in June.
After their home was gone, the family says they were unable to afford food or rent. Also weighing on Sachila’s parents was not being able to afford his private school education.
Sachila was just wrapping up his third grade year at St. John’s School, so whether he was going to return in September was up in the air.
Principal Melissa Moore stepped in and secured money through Inner City Scholarship Fund’s Emergency Tuition Assistance program.
The scholarship covers up to 75% of Sachila’s tuition.
- Police are searching for a trio behind a series of robberies in Williamsbridge.Police are searching for a trio behind a series of robberies in Williamsbridge.
It’s time to ‘pawty!’ Is your pooch an all-pro? Submit a photo of your furry friend for a chance to win a prize!
- Atari, an arcade game company, has announced plans to build eight Atari-branded hotels throughout the U.S.
A Centers for Disease study shows the fertility rate for the United States fell to another all-time low in 2018.
Univision 41 News Brief: Presidente del condado del Bronx Rubén Díaz Jr., dejará la política cuando termine su período en el 2021Presidente del condado del Bronx Rubén Díaz Jr., dejará la política cuando termine su período en el 2021.
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 Grammy Awards.Sights and scenes from the 2020 Grammy Awards.
- Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!
- Rain soaked the tri-state area over the weekend, but the skies cleared in time for News 12 viewers to snap some stunning shots of rainbows!
- Sights and Scenes from 2020 BroadwayCon in New York City.Sights and Scenes from 2020 BroadwayCon in New York City.
- A new viral illness being watched with a wary eye around the globe accelerated its spread in China on Sunday with 56 deaths so far.