School helps pay tuition for student who lost home, belongings in firePosted: Updated:
A Kingsbridge school stepped in to help a Marble Hill family who lost everything in a fire over the summer.
A fire ripped through the home of Sachila Jayakody and his family in June.
After their home was gone, the family says they were unable to afford food or rent. Also weighing on Sachila’s parents was not being able to afford his private school education.
Sachila was just wrapping up his third grade year at St. John’s School, so whether he was going to return in September was up in the air.
Principal Melissa Moore stepped in and secured money through Inner City Scholarship Fund’s Emergency Tuition Assistance program.
The scholarship covers up to 75% of Sachila’s tuition.
- Cuomo says the death toll in New York state from COVID-19 is at 965.Cuomo says the death toll in New York state from COVID-19 is at 965.
- A Brooklyn priest has died due to complications from the coronavrus, according to the Brooklyn Diocese.
- Detective Dixon was 48 years old and News 12 is told that he worked in the 32nd Precinct in Harlem. He died at a Bronx hospital.
- Pregnant women in New York will not have to endure labor alone.Pregnant women in New York will not have to endure labor alone.
- Taco Bell will be handing out free tacos Tuesday as a way to thank people for showing up for their communities amid the coronavirus pandemic.
- Whatever the reason is, News 12 wants to see photos of what you're doing to keep busy during the coronavirus pandemic.
- From doctors and nurses to firefighters and police officers. From grocery store workers to news media and beyond. There are many who work hard to keep things running, keep us informed and keep us safe.
- As people work from home and avoid large gatherings, areas that are normally packed with people have suddenly become nearly vacant.
- These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.
A guide to the national park sites and trails on Long Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York City and the Hudson Valley.