Winter Weather ADVISORY in effect for:
25 displaced after massive fire rips through Rogers Place buildingsPosted: Updated:
A massive fire Monday night left three apartment buildings in Morrisania with fire damage.
The massive fire ripped through the top of a residential building on Rogers Place spreading to two others.
Fire officials tell News 12 they were called to the scene around 8:30 p.m. and worked through the early hours this morning.
A tenant next door says the fire spread to his building as well.
"And then next thing you know I'm getting a knock on the door that's our roommate telling us there's smoke, there's a fire, there's a fire. I open my door and it's extremely cloudy in the apartment, so all I can do is just throw my slippers on and tell my girl let's go we have to go and we just came outside," says Antonio Jimenez, who lives in the building next door.
"Next thing you know we see all the flames coming out of the top of the building, obviously it's spread to our building so we're hoping everything is recoverable," says Jimenez.
News 12 is told that two people suffered non-life threatening injuries.
The American Red Cross was on the scene to provide emergency housing and financial assistance to the 25 people displaced.
News 12 is told that two people were injured, including a firefighter, but that they are expected to be OK.
The cause of that fire is still under investigation.
- Snow is on tap for this weekend, with the heaviest accumulation in the evening.Snow is on tap for this weekend, with the heaviest accumulation in the evening.
- U.S. health officials announced Friday that they will begin screening airline passengers arriving from central China for a new virus that has sickened dozens and killed two.
- Student loan debt has crossed the $1.6 trillion mark, more than double what it was in 2010.Student loan debt has crossed the $1.6 trillion mark, more than double what it was in 2010.
- The first snowstorm of the year is expected to hit the area this Saturday.The first snowstorm of the year is expected to hit the area this Saturday.
- White has been nominated for 21 Primetime Emmy Awards, one Grammy Award and in December 2013, she became the Guinness World Record holder for longest TV career for a female entertainer.
- According to the National Retail Federation, Americans were expected to spend $490 million on costumes for their pets this past Halloween. But there's another special day to celebrate your furry friend!
- The National Board of Review assembled many of the regulars of this year’s awards season in the annual, untelevised gala dinner at Cipriani’s 42nd Street in midtown Manhattan.
- The stars of the film "Like a Boss" hit the red carpet Tuesday in New York City for the premiere.The stars of the film "Like a Boss" hit the red carpet Tuesday in New York City for the premiere.
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.
- A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck Puerto Rico, killing one man, injuring at least eight other people and collapsing buildings in the southern part of the island.