Group cleans up syringes in parks and streets around South BronxPosted: Updated:
A group of four men is working together to clean up parks and streets around the borough.
Ari, Rob, Rene and Jose say their Syringe Outreach Response Team is more than just picking up syringes in the streets.
The men say they know what it’s like dealing with substance abuse because they have been on the other side.
The SORT team, as they refer to themselves, says they pick up hundreds and hundreds of used syringes in the South Bronx each week.
Through St. Ann's Corner of Harm Reduction, the group is working to keep users safe.
They say they are giving back by helping addicts with the distribution of Narcan and being on the streets, giving information about St. Ann’s Corner of Harm Reduction to people.
The team goes to Tremont Park and other spots where people are known to shoot up.
- Cuomo says the death toll in New York state from COVID-19 is at 965.Cuomo says the death toll in New York state from COVID-19 is at 965.
- A Brooklyn priest has died due to complications from the coronavrus, according to the Brooklyn Diocese.
- Detective Dixon was 48 years old and News 12 is told that he worked in the 32nd Precinct in Harlem. He died at a Bronx hospital.
- Pregnant women in New York will not have to endure labor alone.Pregnant women in New York will not have to endure labor alone.
- Taco Bell will be handing out free tacos Tuesday as a way to thank people for showing up for their communities amid the coronavirus pandemic.
- Whatever the reason is, News 12 wants to see photos of what you're doing to keep busy during the coronavirus pandemic.
- From doctors and nurses to firefighters and police officers. From grocery store workers to news media and beyond. There are many who work hard to keep things running, keep us informed and keep us safe.
- As people work from home and avoid large gatherings, areas that are normally packed with people have suddenly become nearly vacant.
- These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.
A guide to the national park sites and trails on Long Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York City and the Hudson Valley.