Coastal Flood STATEMENT in effect for:
Massive monopole for wind turbine set up at busy Co-op City intersectionPosted: Updated:
A massive monopole has been set up shop at a busy intersection in Co-op City, and residents say they are furious.
News 12 has learned that it's going to be part of a wind turbine to supply energy to the area. But people who live there are calling it an eyesore just like the previous tall structure that was installed on that same corner.
About two years ago, residents were up in arms about an electronic billboard built just feet away on the same property, at the corner of Baychester and Bartow avenues.
The wind turbine is double the height of the billboard. A new piece was installed on top overnight, which is why it's causing renewed outrage.
The wind turbine would mean clean energy for Co-op City -- which has its own energy. However, many are questioning how the developer is allowed to build something so tall.
It is believed that because a theme park called Freedomland used to operate on the property years ago, the zoning laws were never changed.
Assemblyman Michael Benedetto and Sen. Jamaal Bailey are working together to enact legislation at the state level to put a stop to it.
"We don't want a community like this, a residential community, to have to be saddled with a monstrosity like this. We understand business owners and landowners have the right to do things, but just because you can do something, does not mean that you should do something," said Sen. Bailey.
In a statement, the Department of Buildings tells News 12, "Earlier today, we received several public 311 complaints about suspected illegal work on one of the billboard structures at 500 Baychester Avenue, BX. We have routed an inspector to the scene to investigate, and ensure that any ongoing work complies with permits issued by the Department."
A third piece was set to be installed overnight on Thursday, making it even taller.
- Newly released body camera footage shows deadly police-involved shootingNewly released body camera footage shows deadly police-involved shooting
- Weekend traffic advisory for Jan. 25-Jan.26
- A Bronx woman is facing murder charges in connection to a homicide that happened in Brooklyn Thursday night.A Bronx woman is facing murder charges in connection to a homicide that happened in Brooklyn Thursday night.
- The On Barre - Barre Method works your lower body, including your thighs, glutes, hamstrings and calves.The On Barre - Barre Method works your lower body, including your thighs, glutes, hamstrings and calves.
- National Florida Day recognizes the 27th state to join the United States.National Florida Day recognizes the 27th state to join the United States.
- Sights and Scenes from 2020 BroadwayCon in New York City.Sights and Scenes from 2020 BroadwayCon in New York City.
- Chinese health authorities urged people in the city of Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.Chinese health authorities urged people in the city of Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.
- Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!