Young singer from the Bronx finds calling in jazzPosted: Updated:
A young singer from the Bronx is making waves in the jazz scene and has big plans for the new year.
A little over a month ago, Castle Hill's Samara McLendon brought home the top prize in the annual Sarah Vaughan International Jazz Competition.
"When I heard my name – I couldn't believe it, I couldn't believe it," says McLendon.
The road to that moment was paved with taking chances -- and harnessing her natural gifts. McLendon was born and raised in the Bronx and comes from a family of musicians, with roots in gospel.
"My uncle played saxophone, my dad plays bass and sings, my aunts play piano," she says.
But she found her calling unexpectedly, not too long ago, in her junior year at Fordham High School of the Arts -- when she started singing jazz with the school's band.
"I didn't even think I’d be interested in that - I was gonna go to Binghamton for math because I didn't feel like music would be that secure of a career," says McLendon.
Now a junior at SUNY Purchase majoring in Jazz Studies, she's performed across the city at places like the Blue Note and Django in the Roxy. She won a contest last month, which landed her a spot in this summer's Newport Jazz festival, and thus a permanent mark in the jazz scene.
“I haven't been given this opportunity for no reason so I want to not only develop and surround myself with experienced musicians but I wanna take that to my school and show the students there that they can pursue whatever they want to no matter the time frame," McLendon says.
- Fire officials say a man has died and a woman was injured after a fire broke out in a Co-op City high-rise.
- Volunteers created an Amazon wish list for people to send food and supplies directly to Chabad of Puerto Rico.
- Many organizations and mental health activists gathered in Marble Hill on Martin Luther King Day to demand an option for non-police response to 911 calls for mental help.
- Fordham Prep has a tough weekly schedule that includes nine practices and two lifts, but it has equated to a program in its second decade as one of the most dominant in the CHSAA, and even the state.
- The popular Vans clothing and sneaker company now has its own free, indoor skate park in Bushwick.The popular Vans clothing and sneaker company now has its own free, indoor skate park in Bushwick.
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!
- According to the National Retail Federation, Americans were expected to spend $490 million on costumes for their pets this past Halloween. But there's another special day to celebrate your furry friend!
- The National Board of Review assembled many of the regulars of this year’s awards season in the annual, untelevised gala dinner at Cipriani’s 42nd Street in midtown Manhattan.
- The stars of the film "Like a Boss" hit the red carpet Tuesday in New York City for the premiere.The stars of the film "Like a Boss" hit the red carpet Tuesday in New York City for the premiere.