Coastal Flood STATEMENT in effect for:
Fordham tenants frustrated for being in the dark for days following building basement firePosted: Updated:
Tenants who live at a Fordham building say they have been left without power after a fire broke out in the basement of an apartment early Saturday morning.
The fire department says they received a call for an electrical fire in the basement just before 1:10 a.m. Saturday.
It was under control by 1:30 a.m.
Now tenants say they have been left without electricity and hot water.
Victoria Banks, who has lived at the building on the Grand Concourse for 23 years, says she has not been able to get anything done.
"Nothing. Nothing at all. No cooking. Nothing. I'm literally in the dark in the cold, freezing," Bank says.
An emergency Tenants Association meeting was held Monday night with the help of the Northwest Bronx Community and Clergy Coalition. They plan on taking the landlord to court.
Signs on the wall from management claim that an electrician made repairs. However, residents are still angry because they say they're being left in the dark, literally and figuratively.
"Up until now, it's been extremely frustrating to say the least because the management is saying one thing and then Con Edison is saying another, and then the tenants are just left in limbo without a clear answer about when they can expect their lives to return to normal," says Alvaro Franco of the Northwest Bronx Community and Clergy Coalition.
Meanwhile, Con Edison says it has crews inspecting the repairs and if everything looks good, electricity will be restored to the building.
News 12 reached out to the landlord for comment, but did not heard back.
- Newly released body camera footage shows deadly police-involved shootingNewly released body camera footage shows deadly police-involved shooting
- Weekend traffic advisory for Jan. 25-Jan.26
- A Bronx woman is facing murder charges in connection to a homicide that happened in Brooklyn Thursday night.
- The On Barre - Barre Method works your lower body, including your thighs, glutes, hamstrings and calves.
- National Florida Day recognizes the 27th state to join the United States.National Florida Day recognizes the 27th state to join the United States.
- Sights and Scenes from 2020 BroadwayCon in New York City.Sights and Scenes from 2020 BroadwayCon in New York City.
- Chinese health authorities urged people in the city of Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.Chinese health authorities urged people in the city of Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.
- Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!