‘The great upswing:’ Business owners are optimistic on City IslandPosted: Updated:
One may believe business is down in City Island due to some empty store fronts, but store owners are telling News 12 that business is doing well, especially during the off-season.
With more than four decades of running “Focal Point Gallery,” Ron Terner has seen the good times and the bad.
“I’ve been through them all being here for 45 years and I feel that it’s on a really great upswing,” Terner said.
Skip Giacco, the president of the City Island Chamber of Commerce, agrees. Despite online shopping changing the retail game and the view of shuttered storefronts, nine new businesses opened on the island in the last two years.
Giacco said that out of the approximately 100 retail spaces on the island, about 20 have been empty the past few years. Now, that number is down to 14.
The newest additions to the neighborhood include a gallery, coffee shop, deli and soon-to-open smoothie spot. Some of the new owners are feeling wary about the vacancies, but they are all optimistic about their futures here.
“It doesn’t mean that you can’t have a business, you just have to approach it the right way,” a business owner said.
Business leaders on the island told News 12 that what gives a business staying power is finding a niche that fits the City Island feel.
“Because City Island is, in my opinion, the brand, the product," Giacco said. "People will come here, and then it’s up to the individual business owners to make them want to come back.”
- City Island residents are facing puddles, wet streets and heavy downfalls Saturday, causing one street to flood earlier in the day.
- A man was slashed in the face just before 8 a.m. Saturday, police say.A man was slashed in the face just before 8 a.m. Saturday, police say.
- The Sato Project, an organization with an office in DUMBO, Brooklyn, is working to help dogs left abandoned after several earthquakes hit Puerto Rico. The goal is to help these dogs find homes.
- Bronx boxing gym El Maestro Inc. is sending donations to Puerto Rico following a series of earthquakes.
- A man was shot three times early Saturday in Williamsbridge, police say.A man was shot three times early Saturday in Williamsbridge, police say.
- Did you snap a photo of a rainbow when the skies cleared on Jan. 25? We want to see!Did you snap a photo of a rainbow when the skies cleared on Jan. 25? We want to see!
- Sights and Scenes from 2020 BroadwayCon in New York City.Sights and Scenes from 2020 BroadwayCon in New York City.
- Chinese health authorities urged people in the city of Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.Chinese health authorities urged people in the city of Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.