Dead rats, rodent feces among complaints from Bronx storage unit customerPosted: Updated:
Dead rats and rodent feces are among complaints coming from a customer at a Bronx storage unit on West Fordham Road.
Storage Post Self Storage may be climate controlled, but Mariah Samaniego says the rats in the unit are not under control.
"I have noticed a lot of rat droppings and the last time I was here there was also a dead mouse," said Samaniego.
The facility is near a scrap yard, and there was garbage out front when News 12 stopped by. Samaniego says rats destroyed much of what she had in storage.
She says she wants the facility to pay for her to move out.
"I have books, notebooks, clothes, I have boots, shoes, pictures, vintage jackets," said Samaniego.
Samaniego says her protection plan doesn't cover the damage. She pays $200 a month for the unit and expects the company to take care of its clients.
The vice president of the company responded to News 12 saying they were aware of the situation, adding, "All of our Storage Post facilities, including our Fordham Road location, undergo regular, periodic pest control treatments. We will continue to work with Ms. Samaniego to achieve a resolution."
The Better Business Bureau released tips about renting storage units. They say before renting, make sure to check for health and safety hazards like mouse or rat droppings, leaking roofs and bug infestations.
They also add to check for damage not covered by the protection plan.
Samaniego says she is looking to move her stuff somewhere else. She also says she's planning to write local leaders about the rats and feces she says are in the facility.
- Fire officials say a man has died and a woman was injured after a fire broke out in a Co-op City high-rise.
- Volunteers created an Amazon wish list for people to send food and supplies directly to Chabad of Puerto Rico.
- Many organizations and mental health activists gathered in Marble Hill on Martin Luther King Day to demand an option for non-police response to 911 calls for mental help.
- Fordham Prep has a tough weekly schedule that includes nine practices and two lifts, but it has equated to a program in its second decade as one of the most dominant in the CHSAA, and even the state.
- The popular Vans clothing and sneaker company now has its own free, indoor skate park in Bushwick.The popular Vans clothing and sneaker company now has its own free, indoor skate park in Bushwick.
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!
- According to the National Retail Federation, Americans were expected to spend $490 million on costumes for their pets this past Halloween. But there's another special day to celebrate your furry friend!
- The National Board of Review assembled many of the regulars of this year’s awards season in the annual, untelevised gala dinner at Cipriani’s 42nd Street in midtown Manhattan.
- The stars of the film "Like a Boss" hit the red carpet Tuesday in New York City for the premiere.The stars of the film "Like a Boss" hit the red carpet Tuesday in New York City for the premiere.