Cuomo: First death from coronavirus reported at NYC hospital
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced on a media conference call Saturday the first death from coronavirus at a New York City hospital.
According to Cuomo, the 82-year-old woman had an underlying respiratory illness. He says she had emphysema, and was hospitalized on March 3 when she contracted coronavirus.
PHOTOS: The impact of coronavirus around the world
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio released this statement:
“Today, we are confirming our first death due to severe complications from COVID-19. The patient, an elderly woman with advanced emphysema, was admitted to the hospital last week as one of our first cases, and had been in critical condition ever since. We’ve known from the outset that these people are the most at risk in this pandemic, and today’s news is a sad confirmation of that reality. I want to thank the staff of Wyckoff Medical Center for their efforts to save this woman’s life, and all the medical professionals on the front lines protecting our most vulnerable.
We all have a part to play here. I ask every New Yorker to do their part and take the necessary precautionary measures to protect the people most at risk.”
During the call, he says there are at least 500 positive cases, which is expected to rise as more testing is put in place.
As of Friday, Cuomo says he spoke with President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence to allow New York laboratories to run testing.
Meanwhile, the New Rochelle, New York drive-thru testing facility that opened Friday saw around 150 vehicles, according to Cuomo. He added that officials are looking at Jones Beach on Long Island as another possible site for testing.
MORE COVERAGE: New Rochelle to open drive-through coronavirus testing site