Accused attacker of MTA worker makes appearance in court

The suspect's next court appearance was set for June 26 so a judge can review his psych evaluation.

Natalie Hernandez

May 29, 2024, 9:32 PM

Updated 15 days ago

Share:

MTA officials, members of the Transport Workers Union, friends and family of a Bronx MTA worker who was attacked while on the job in 2022, gathered in Bronx Criminal Court as his accused attacker made a scheduled appearance Wednesday morning.
In Aug 2022, Anthony Nelson was working inside the Pelham Park 6 train station when someone told him people were being harassed outside the station.
He rushed to help and was thrown to the ground by the suspect, injuring his right shoulder.
The suspect, 49-year-old Alexander Wright, was arrested and charged with two counts of assault and one count of harassment. In July 2023, Wright was determined unfit to stand trial and earlier this month, it was determined Wright needed yet another psych evaluation.
TWU members say that they will continue to show up to court so that Wright, who has over 40 prior arrests, can be tried and sentenced to to the fullest extent of the law.
"We're going to be here on every court case and we're going to be very aggressive," said Robert Kelley, of the TWU.
Wright's next court appearance was set for June 26 so a judge can review his psych evaluation.


More from News 12