Crotona Park East residents evacuated after manhole explosion, carbon monoxide leak

Residents in Crotona Park East had to be evacuated from their building Tuesday morning after a manhole fire.
Residents told News 12 they could smell a strange scent spreading through the floors of the building when they were rushed out of their homes.
The FDNY says there was a manhole on fire outside of a barbershop near the corner of Boston Road and East 173rd Street just before 7 a.m.
The fire released high levels of carbon monoxide into buildings and businesses nearby, forcing officials to evacuate residents.
Breathing in carbon monoxide can be extremely dangerous, causing those to pass out and even die.
There is no word on when the residents can return to the building. No injuries have been reported so far.