Exclusive: NYCHA tenant says mold issues causing health, safety concerns for months

The resident says she was diagnosed with pneumonia due to the issue and even had to take her daughter to the emergency room for respiratory issues.

Elly Morillo and

News 12 Staff

Sep 7, 2023, 11:59 PM

Updated 260 days ago

Share:

A NYCHA tenant turned to News 12 for help, saying mold in her home is causing serious health and safety problems.
Najah Holmes says she has been living at 595 Trinity Ave. for eight years and has had to deal with mold issues inside her NYCHA apartment for months.
Holmes says the issue began back in March and was told repairs would be made after multiple complaints to NYCHA in May. She says she was told she would also be removed from the apartment until the mold issue was fixed but feels she's been given the runaround. 
"Somehow no one showed, then they pushed it to November. So, I told them I contacted them like I'm supposed to wait until November in this apartment getting sick, being sick with my kids? No," says Holmes. 
Holmes says she was diagnosed with pneumonia due to the issue and even had to take her daughter to the emergency room for respiratory issues. 
"After that, I even told them about it. I wrote them and told them, wrote them multiple messages to tell them about my kid getting sick and nothing they still haven't done anything," said Holmes. 
Holmes tells News 12 she is prepared to stop paying rent if the issue is not addressed. 
News 12 reached out to NYCHA for a statement and received the following response: 
"NYCHA staff have visited the apartment and expedited the scheduled repairs. A mold inspection was completed in March of this year and there are currently no leaks affecting this unit."


More from News 12