Experts warn of allergen in hair dye

Hair coloring is a monthly routine for many women, but doctors say that a common chemical in dyes has been linked to severe allergic reactions. It's called paraphenylenediamine, and doctors and hair

News 12 Staff

Feb 19, 2016, 8:46 AM

Updated 3,019 days ago

Share:

Experts warn of allergen in hair dye
Hair coloring is a monthly routine for many women, but doctors say that a common chemical in dyes has been linked to severe allergic reactions.
It's called paraphenylenediamine, and doctors and hair stylists say women should always test a small amount of new dye before getting it fully applied.
The symptoms range from itching and hives to swelling and anaphylaxis -- which is a life-threatening allergic reaction that can put someone into shock or cause throat closure and suffocation.
 
 


More from News 12