FDNY cracks down on e-bike shops amid series of fatal lithium-ion battery fires

Skye e-bike Technology, Inc on 5th Avenue in Sunset Park is the latest business to be shut down since the FDNY ramped up inspections to crack down on shops that improperly store e-bike batteries.

News 12 Staff

Jul 2, 2023, 10:05 PM

Updated 330 days ago

Share:

The FDNY is cracking down on e-bike shops as lithium-ion batteries continue to cause fatal fires throughout the city.
Skye e-bike Technology, Inc on 5th Avenue in Sunset Park is the latest business to be shut down since the FDNY ramped up inspections to crack down on shops that improperly store e-bike batteries.
The FDNY says they found an excessive number of batteries at the shop, including some that were illegally modified.
Dozens of e-mobility devices were also discovered by the FDNY inside the basement, along with mopeds containing fuel.
A vacate order could be seen on the doors of the store, warning “conditions inside are immediately perilous to life in case of fire."
Earlier this week, the fire commissioner issued a stern warning to e-bike businesses, telling them that if they don’t comply with safety standards, they will be shut down.
Residents who spoke with News 12 say that there was a fire inside the store just several days ago. They say staff was able to put it out before it spread.
A store employee and two upstairs tenants declined to comment on the subject. Residents in the area say they remain worried.
“Everything is close, so a fire can spread fast. There's a lot of children and families in this area and a lot of businesses, so that it very concerning,” said Xiomara Gonzales, of Sunset Park.
E-bike fires have become one of the leading causes of fire-related death in the city, according to officials. Those incidents have claimed the lives of 13 New York City residents this year alone.
Authorities say 10 people were injured in a Bronx apartment fire caused by lithium-ion batteries just four days ago. Less than two weeks ago, four people were killed when an e-bike repair shop went up in flames in Manhattan.


More from News 12