FDNY pushes fire safety education as Belmont fire anniversary approaches
The FDNY is trying to bring fire safety education to the forefront for families as the one-year anniversary of the deadly Belmont fire approaches.
A five-alarm fire engulfed a Prospect Avenue building in Belmont last December, killing 13 people.
Fire officials held an event at the nearby Madison Square Boys and Girls Club to remind families about the importance of closing a door to prevent a fire from spreading.
Fire marshals determined that the Dec. 28 fire was caused by a 3-year-old playing with stove burners. Officials say occupants of the apartment quickly fled, leaving their apartment door open and allowing flames to spread into the hallway.
The youngest victim of that fire was only 7 months old.
The FDNY conducted interactive demonstrations Tuesday in an effort to prevent similar tragedies. Fire officials handed out free smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
News 12 previously reported that new measures make it mandatory for landlords to provide stove covers to families with children younger than 6 years old. New buildings will also be required to post notices reminding tenants to close their doors if a fire breaks out.